UPDATE ONE: It has been revealed that Niantic, the makers of Pokemon Go, is now valued at $4 billion, with the Pocker Monster game for Android and iOS bringing in $2 billion in revenue since its launch in 2016.
The company recently finished its Series C funding with another $245 million secured, with CEO John Hanke telling Fortune: “It’s extra capital in the bank.
“It’s extra firepower for us to use if we want to do M&A or build out our global events strategy. The main driver, though, was getting…formally aligned with some of these companies, getting some skin in the game.”
ORIGINAL: A new type of Pokemon Go event is coming soon to Android and iOS.
Named Limited Research, the new celebrations will function very much like the Community Days fans have gotten used to.
But instead of seeing higher spawn rates and special moves launched for a short period, players will instead need to complete Limited Research tasks to unlock special encounters.
Completing the Limited Time Research tasks unlocked through spinning PokeStops during the allotted three-hours will reward you with a Feebas encounter.
The first Limited Field Research event will go live on January 19 and run for three hours.
Players will even have the chance to encounter a shiny Feebas, which also means a shiny Milotic down the road too.
So what Field Research tasks will Trainers have to complete on January 19?
According to the latest data miner leaks from Pokemon Go source, Chrales, Feebas Research will include the following goals to complete:
- Feebas Research: Earn 1 Buddy Candy
- Feebas Research: Hatch 1 Egg
- Feebas Research: Complete a number of Great Throws
- Feebas Research: Complete a number of Nice Throws
We don’t know yet just how many throws a player will need to complete during the event, although it looks to be the hardest part of the new Research tasks.
So as a recap, these will be goals during the Limited Research Feebas event:
- Collect Limited Research tasks when you spin Photo Discs at PokeStops.
- Complete the Limited Research tasks to be rewarded with encounters with Feebas.
- Some encounters will include a shiny Feebas which can be evolved into a Milotic.
- As long as you’ve collected the Limited Research during the event window, you can complete it at any time.
- New Field Research tasks come from visiting new PokeStops.
The Event Date and Times according to Niantic:
- Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and India: Jan. 19, 2019, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. UTC (GMT +0)
- The Americas and Greenland: Jan. 19, 2019, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8)
- Asia-Pacific: Jan. 20, 2019, from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. JST (GMT +9)
Here’s more from Niantic, who explains in a new statement: “It’s time to put your research skills to work and collect Field Research that looks closely at a certain Pokémon species — let’s do some Limited Research.
“While the Water-type Pokémon Feebas may not look like much, there’s plenty to learn about the Fish Pokémon! Spin the Photo Disc at nearby PokéStops to obtain Field Research tasks that lead to encounters with Feebas. And, if you’re lucky, you just might find a Shiny Feebas.”