Indian kitchens are incomplete without onions and they are an inevitable part of Indian cuisine, and get added to almost every dish we prepare. Onions are much more useful than you think. Over the years, onions have become quite popular in their ability to control hair fall and in promoting hair growth. Onion contains elements like folic acid, vitamin C, E and B, phosphorus, zinc, potassium, carotene, magnesium. These elements are highly beneficial for hair growth and hair fall. In this post, we are going to learn 5 different ways to use onion for hair and before we get into that, let’s have a look at its amazing benefits.
Benefits of Onion for Hair:
- They contain strong antioxidants, which can help to reverse the effects of premature greying.
- Regular use of onion packs can make hair shiny and improve the quality of hair.
- Prevents hair lice.
- Promotes new hair growth and adds volume to the hair.
- Fights dandruff, contains rich anti-bacterial properties.
- Promotes blood circulation, aids in hair growth.
- Contains anti-bacterial properties, treats various scalp infections and prevents hair loss.
- Nourishes hair follicles, restores lost nutrients.
- Onions are rich in sulphur which helps to minimise hair thinning and breakage.
How to Make Onion Juice for Hair at Home:
Simply take 1-2 large onions (depending on your hair length) and peel off the skin. Wash the onions and roughly chop them up in large chunks. Add the onion pieces into a blender. Use a muslin cloth or a strainer to separate tiny bits from the juice and to extract pure onion juice. Now, it’s ready for application on to the hair and scalp.
5 DIY Onions Hair Packs to Control Hair Fall:
1. Olive oil and Onion Hair Mask: Olive oil is one of best hair oils for hair. It helps fight infections, improves blood circulation in the scalp, and keeps dandruff at bay. It moisturises the scalp and improves scalp health. A scalp which has good blood circulation makes hair follicles stronger, giving rise to softer, healthy and thicker hair strands.
How To Make Olive oil and Onion Hair Mask:
- Take 4-5 tablespoons of onion juice.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil into it.
- Massage the mixture into the scalp in circular motions.
- Shampoo+condition the hair after 1-2 hours.
- Repeat every week for best results.
2. Onion Juice and Honey Hair Mask:
Honey contains antioxidant properties that prevent hair damage. It helps to keep scalp and hair healthy. Honey is an excellent natural emollient which locks in moisture. It acts like a natural conditioner and keeps the hair well conditioned. Honey reduces hair fall by strengthening hair follicles.
How to Make Onion Juice and Honey Hair Mask:
- Mix one tablespoon of organic honey with half a cup of onion juice and mix well.
- Apply on scalp and all over the hair till ends.
- Gently massage for a couple of minutes.
- Use a mild shampoo to rinse and condition hair well.
- Repeat once a week.
Tip: Since onion juice is runny in texture, place an old towel on your shoulders to avoid mess. You can also pack your hair using a shower cap. Using a shower cap will also ensure that the ingredients get penetrated deep into the hair shaft.
3. Onion juice and Yogurt Hair Mask:
Any hair care routine is incomplete without yogurt. Grandmas have swear by yogurt’s goodness for hair and surely is a hair saviour! Yogurt controls hair fall, reduces the clogging of follicles. They work best for frizzy, damaged and chemically-treated hair. It moisturises the hair and keeps the ph level balanced. Yogurt also controls sebum level, gives a cooling effect on the scalp. It also fights dandruff and keeps the scalp healthy.
How To Make Onion Juice and Yogurt Hair Mask:
- In a bowl, add 5-6 tablespoons of onion juice, mix two tablespoons of thick yogurt into the juice.
- Apply on the scalp and hair.
- Wait for about 30-40 minutes.
- Rinse off with a shampoo and condition.
- Use once a week for healthy hair.
4. Onion juice and Castor Oil Mask: According to a dermatologist, castor oil promotes hair growth. The oil contains ricinoleic acid and omega-6 fatty acids which helps in increasing the blood circulation. It strengthen and moisturises the hair and contains vitamin E. It balances the ph level of the scalp. It has anti-bacterial properties and perfect for scalp health.
How To Use Onion Juice and Castor Oil Mask:
- Take 4-5 tablespoon of onion juice.
- Add 2 tablespoons of castor oil and mix.
- Apply the mixture on the scalp and hair and gently massage in circular motions for 3-4 minutes.
- Wash using a shampoo after two hours.
5. Onion Juice and Egg Hair Mask: Egg is known as a superfood for hair, when taken both internally and applied externally. It contains essential nutrients and proteins which boost the quality of hair. Eggs have been found to control hair fall. It strengthens and nourishes the roots, and heals damage caused by chemicals. It gives a healthy shine and makes the hair super soft and manageable.
How to Make Onion Juice and Egg Hair Mask:
- Mix one whole egg with 4-5 tablespoons of onion juice.
- Add 2-3 drops of essential oil like tea-tree or lavender oil to make the whole mixture smell nice.
- Let it stay in the hair for 30 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition as usual.
We hope the above information controls and reduces your hair fall. Use these tips for one whole month and if there is no effect on hair fall, we recommend you visit a trichologist to get checked for and rule out underlying disorders. Have a happy hair day, everyday ?